Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Greater good from The War Store

I've been playing games for a loooong time, but relatively recently got into miniature wargaming, specifically Games Workshop's Warhammer 40k.

Actually, I'm more into the hobby aspect of the game, which consists of creating game boards and terrain upon which the miniatures, uh, fight. To put a finer point on it, I'm more of a terrain supplies collector than an actual terrain maker, as I collect a lot of styrofoam, plastic bits, etc, and I havean utter inability to throw anything away.

Finally I've gotten around to purchasing a Tau starter-set army so I can actually throw down (or get my Greater Good handed to me).

I had heard about a store called The War Store through various on-line sites, and since they offered a 20% discount on Games Workshop products, I decidedto give them a try. I had no idea as to the size of The War Store, but their website boasts an impressive selection of many products. I figured it was just theweb presence for a local game store.

The website said to call them and Neal, the owner, would talk to me. Okay. When I called, another person said Neal was out of the office for a few minutes butleave my name and number and he would call me back. To be honest, I was a little skeptical at this point, as I figured that anybody there would take my orderand I wouldn't actually talk with the owner of the store. I left my info and tried to do some actual work.

A few minutes later I got a call from Neal! It may not be much to many people, but I appreciated the personalized service. I told him what I wanted (the Tau Battleforce box) and he knew exactly what I was talking about. Unfortunately they weren't in stock, but should be arriving the next day. I went ahead and placed the order as I was in no hurry - this was before Christmas and I had plenty on my plate.

I was happy to see that I got quick email updates on when the backorder was filled (the next day, just as Neal forecasted) and when my order was shipped, alongwith the tracking number.
A few days later I came home to a very special package waiting for me, securely packed and in great condition.

Thanks to a good discount and great service, I'll definitely be ordering from Neal and The War Store again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with Warhammer 40K...is it like the D&D miniatures you could use for role playing games? Do you actually play a game or just collect parts and setup scenes?

Trey said...

It uses similar miniatures, but the focus is more on the squad-level, not like individual party members like in D&D. Instead of each (human) player playing a different character (warrior, wizard, etc) one (human) player would be Space Marines for instance, and he would have groups of tanks, marines, jetpack-equipped marines, etc, playing against another (human) player possibly playing an alien force, etc.

Some people actually build terrain (hills, buildings, etc) and sell them on ebay (look up "40k terrain").

I like the idea of building the terrain, so I collect all the styrofoam I can find, much to Lacey's chagrin.

My goal is to actually play the game, which requires some sort of miniatures to represent your force. Each game "session" is a particular mission with points-based forces competing toward the preselected goal/ending.

John said...

Man that sounds kinda cool, but with D&D type miniatures. I like that more, being a wizard....ohhhh I like the sound of that, man, makes want to start up Everquest again....