Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Big Show

11:35AM CST, Dallas to Tokyo

I had to take the Skylift from my Dallas arrival terminal to my Dallas departure terminal. The Skylift is a speedy elevated tram that moved us along, and I was surprised at how fast it was.


Nice business class seats, with recline, lumbar adjust, legrest and legrest extension - very adjustable! The standard pillow and blanket greeted me on my seat, with a "SPA" package in my document holder (mints, facial and foot cleansers (different products), plastic toothpick, toothbrush, etc.



Something's always bugged me about First Class. They sit in the front and get seated first - no problem so far, but once all the "premium passengers" are seated, here come the parade of unwashed masses. I mean, what are the coach passengers supposed to think? Strange! I always felt odd passing the "haves" while I made my way back to my seat, and now that I'm sitting up front, I get a taste of my own medicine.

Before Business Class is even finished being seated we get our first beverage service - water, orange juice, champagne or mimosas. Obviously, the correct choice is mimosa, but they are decent at best. Make that pretty weak.

Hold the presses! We just were offered newspapers and...slippers! I picked USA Today and a pair of 11.5's. Apparently the Japanese lady to my right picked 11.5's as well. What? One size fits all? My bad.


We've also been presented with our dinner menu, of which we can pick Western (nuts to start, noodles with shrimp appetizers, seasonal salad, breads and either filet of beef, miso-marinated salmon or a pasta trio, with fruit medley or cheesecake for dessert) or Japanese (sushi appetizer, grilled beef tataki with wasabi mustard, eggroll cake with shrimp, braised duck with vegetables (not even to the entree yet!), grilled beef fillet, miso soup with seafood and tofu). It should come as no surprise to those who know me that I will pick any grouping that includes sushi, preferable without aspartame. An extensive wine and drink selection is offered as well.

No comments: