Thursday, April 27, 2006

More book recommendations

So I'm a pretty voracious reader. I. Love. To. Read. I'll read just about anything, though lately I've had to curtail most of my reading to either work-related (specs, product definitions) or school-related (Assembly language textbook). I do manage to squeeze in a few books every now and then, and here are two good ones that you should check out.

The Club Dumas - I bought this book probably two or three years after I saw The Ninth Gate, and I had no idea it was the basis of the movie. I kept finding similarities and it was driving me crazy. I started and finished it on an airplane, and I had to wait until I got home to look up the connection. Whether you liked the movie or not, the book is worth picking up. File this one under "Books about books, secret societies, dabbling in the unknown, and any more would be spoilers."

Battle Royale - Another instance of seeing the (great) movie first, but I had no idea it was originally a book. One can compare it to Lord of the Flies, but not exactly. It deals with kids, who happen to be on an island, but they are part of a government program where they are forced to eliminate each other with various items that may or may not be weapons, until the last one alive is "the winner." This edition is translated from the Japanese, and is a very good, albeit sometimes depressing, read.

No comments: