Monday, April 17, 2006

In 2006, you will believe a whale can fly....

Sunday we went to Sea World San Antonio. A good time was had by all, and it wasn't even that hot (mid 90's). Going to a place like this always gives me mixed feelings, though. We aren't zoo people, as we believe animals should be kept in their natural habitat. It's sad to see animals in cages, even though the cages are designed to mimic where they lived. I'm not knocking zookeepers, but I'm just not that excited about going to a zoo. Sea World is basically a zoo with some extra features, but who am I to talk - we bought season passes.

I am amazed to watch these trainers interact with some huge animals, Shamu in particular. You can tell they love their job, and love the animals. The trainers just dive right in to these pools with the whales - I don't think I could do it. I'm not the biggest swimming fan, but even if I were I think it would be too unnerving to be so close to something so much larger than you, with a mind of its own.

The grace that the whales and dolphins exhibit is unbelievable. I love that the sides of the pools are glass so you can see what happens under the water.

No comments: