Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Barbecue

To paraphrase another friend of mine, some places don't even have barbecue while we live in a place lucky enough to be able to critique it.

I really like barbecue, and no matter if it is Salt Lick, Pok-e-Jo's or HEB - sausage wins hands down. Brisket is good, but if I could only have barbecued sausage from now on...sign me up!

As for sauce, it doesn't matter if it is sweet, hot, sweet and hot, yellow (Salt Lick) - as long as there is a lot of it I'm good. Jalapenos are required as well. A lot of them.

I'm not sure what's up with the white bread though. I'm not saying that a croissant is more appropriate, but maybe I might mix it up a little bit with some cornbread next time.

Our current favorite is Smokey Moe's because it is delicious, and close to home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No mention of Rudy's?!

Are you really from around these parts or did you just move here? ;0)

Trey said...

Yeah, I guess I forgot Rudy's, or lumped it in the 'other' category. They do have the worst sauce around.

Anonymous said...

Not the biggest Rudy's fan, and I'm from Tejas. Seems like tourist BBQ.

Holmes Smokehouse venison and pork pecan smoked sausage. Hands down my favorite:
http://www.holmessmokehouse.com/cart/category.asp?category=247

Found it at HEB @ Parmer and I-35. I tried the garlic this weekend, and it was OK, but the consistency was different. I definitely prefer the V&P. Char it for about 5 - 8 minutes, then let it slow cook. Will try the Original this weekend.